[Note: I got this from a Food
I've made a stripped-down local copy in case the original goes away.]
Copyright, 2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All rights reserved
Show: Barefoot Contessa
Episode: Book Party
The Web site version of this recipe makes a huge amount of the tartare. What I list here is approximately
what you get when you divide the recipe by five. At the bottom I list the full version, so you can check the math
and know about my rounding errors.
- 3/4 pound very fresh tuna steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, zest grated
- 1/5 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2.5 scallions)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Cut the tuna into 1/4-inch dice and place it in a very large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, soy sauce, hot red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour over the tuna.
- Add the scallions and jalapeno, and mix well.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and peel. Cut the avocados into 1/4-inch dice.
- Carefully mix the avocado into the tuna mixture.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, if using, and season to taste.
- Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend.
- Serve on crackers.
Modifications by Kim
- I added seven or eight diced up grape tomatoes.
- I used at least 50% more toasted sesame than they called for.
- I served them with greatest success atop "Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil" Triscuits.
Original Measurements, before I divided by five
- 3 3/4 pounds very fresh tuna steak
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 5 limes, zest grated
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups minced scallions, white and green parts (12 scallions)
- 3 1/4 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 5 ripe Hass avocados
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, optional