Pomegranate Panna Cotta
[Note: I got this from a Bon
Appétit Test Kitchen Web page.
I've made a stripped-down local copy in case the original goes away.]
Bon Appétit | February 2008
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- Waiting for it to gel, etc: 5 hours
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 cups pomegranate juice (such as Pom)
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (one small Knorr packet)
- 1 cup sugar
- Peel from 1 orange, removed in strips with vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Spray six 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups with nonstick spray.
- Place 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice in small bowl.
- Sprinkle gelatin over; let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 cups pomegranate juice, sugar, and peel in large saucepan over
medium high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Boil until syrup is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove peel from pan; transfer 1/3 cup syrup to small bowl and reserve for sauce.
- Add gelatin mixture to remaining hot syrup in pan, and stir until dissolved.
- Add orange juice and whipping cream, then buttermilk.
- Divide among prepared ramekins.
- Chill until set, probably 5 hours or overnight.
- Cover and chill sauce separately.
- Run knife around edge of ramekins; invert onto plates.
- Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Modifications by Kim
- I got scared I was getting too much orange peel flavor, so I took it out half way through.
- I also sprinkled a few pomegranate seeds ("arils") on each one as edible decoration
Tip from Kim
The original recipe says to reduce the syrup over high heat. The second time I prepared this dish,
I tried to speed things along by boiling it over my maxiumum heat setting. This eventually produced a thick
brown carmelized sludge. Not exactly the desired outcome; hence the medium heat recommendation.
May take longer, but it'll be edible!
Test Kitchen Tip
Don't waste the orange peel: It makes an attractive garnish. Remove it from the syrup and let it cool, then thinly slice it lengthwise. Toss it with 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl; cover and chill.
One serving contains the following:
- Calories (kcal) 252.49 (% Calories from Fat 15.0)
- Fat (g) 4.23
- Saturated Fat (g) 2.63
- Cholesterol (mg) 16.10
- Carbohydrates (g) 51.97
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.11
- Total Sugars (g) 50.98
- Net Carbs (g) 51.86
- Protein (g) 3.28